Sunday 10 October 2010

"Skin" Exhibition in Wellcome Collection


I think everybody had a chance to see "Skin" exhibition posters in Tube stations. 
Because of my addiction to Medicine and Art, it was a question of life and death to see this exhibition.
 _____._____
First thing that impressed me was the exhibition's decoration. Walls were covered with sewn felt that made it look like a real skin.  The second thing was combination of art and medical inventory. You've been able to see both anatomical equipment like 16th Century illustrations and  different art works like videos, collages, photos and etc. During this exhibition, I wrote down works that inspired me or just made me standing near them for almost 20 minutes. 
                                                    _____._____

'Psoriasis' by Tamsin van Essen

 

The artist Tamsin van Essen has manipulated ceramic materials to imitate skin disease. And I think, he did it great. When you look at this piece of work, you may start thinking about moisturising cream, or your own skin started itching
(I can feel it clearly :)). This piece of work is great. It is possible to feel it. To imagine it. 
_____._____

'Xteriors III' by Desiree Dolron, 2001-08

I have not really much to say about this work.It is just very 'catchy'. Catchy for its colour, for its mood for its emotions.This is just so..So 'alive'. I mean all this feelings. It is not just a painting. And the reason of such a 'moody' result is not just because that's a boy. When I first saw this picture, I started thinking about the woman on it. I adore images that makes me think about it's story.
_____._____

 Tim Hawkinson "Touching Collage"



I wrote down the name of this piece of work, because I really like the idea. This work looks disgusting, except the fact that there is nothing "bad" in it. It is just finger, lips, nose, eye and ear. Yeah..Idea is great.
_____._____

Overall, after this exhibition I felt that I have all skin diseases on me now. I've been itching for two days but it was fantastic. Really good one.




No comments:

Post a Comment